Steps to a Healthy Home With Better Indoor Air Quality
Keeping your family healthy is a goal that is often thwarted because of hidden health risks found in your own home. Dust, dirt and other pollutants that circulate through your home can hurt the health of you and your family, so it is important to be proactive about keeping the air clean and pollutant-free to create a healthy home. Understanding some tips for homeowners that relate to indoor air pollution can help you keep your family healthier.
Indoor air quality (IAQ) relates to the quality of the air found in buildings. The IAQ in a building can be severely reduced when pollutants are present. Common pollutants that can be found inside a home or commercial building include dust particles, dirt, mold and gases.
If you do not properly maintain your HVAC system, these pollutants can circulate throughout your home. The result is poor IAQ. Illnesses are often caused or exasperated by indoor air pollutants. Homeowners may be able to determine the pollutants that are present in their home by understanding where these pollutants come from.
- Smoke and perfumes contribute to the presence of carbon monoxide.
- Materials that make up a building cause gases, dust and even formaldehyde to be present in the air.
- Paint, flooring and some pieces of furniture can release noxious gases.
- Carpets and fabrics can harbor dust mites
- Mold and bacteria growths are associated with moisture. HVAC systems that are not regularly cleaned sometimes encourage the growth of mold.
Symptoms that are caused by poor IAQ include:
- Impaired cognitive function
- Runny nose
- Sinus infection
- Chronic fatigue
- Difficulty breathing
It is even possible for children to develop asthma and allergic reactions when they are exposed to indoor pollutants for an extended period of time.
Steps To Achieving a Healthy Home
Now that you understand the importance of improving IAQ, how can you achieve this goal? Regular maintenance of your HVAC system is the first step. Here are some tips for homeowners that will help you maintain a healthy home by improving the quality of the air that is circulated throughout it.
- Check the filters in your HVAC system at least once every month. Replacing these filters ensures that particles will be filtered out of the air.
- Consider investing in an air cleaner that works to filter out the types of pollutants that are found in your home. There are many different types of cleaners that are available, and each cleaner is ideal for filtering or eliminating specific types of pollutants. Consult with an HVAC professional to determine which air cleaner would work best in your home.
- Use HEPA filters in your HVAC system and vacuum. These filters work to keep allergens from circulating throughout your home. Vacuuming regularly will help to keep dust particles out of the air, but you could just be stirring up pollutants if you fail to use a vacuum that is equipped with a HEPA filter.
- Regular maintenance of your HVAC system improves IAQ.
Where To Turn For Regular Maintenance
Some HVAC maintenance can be completed without the help of a professional, but it is recommended that you consult with an HVAC technician for the best results. Air Control Heating & Cooling provides residents of Quincy, FL, with the services needed to improve IAQ for better health. Experienced technicians are able to install air cleaners and provide preventative maintenance services that will keep your heating and cooling system in top condition. A cleaner system is also more efficient, so you will get to enjoy lower utility bills while staying comfortable in your home. Contact Air Control Heating & Cooling today to schedule an appointment.